[OSM-talk] Actually using OpenStreetMap - how to get vector data

Igor Brejc igor.brejc at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 18:07:11 BST 2008

Hello,

While we're on the subject of OSM usability: I have a different
issue/question/problem regarding the access to the OSM data.

While I find OSM web maps to be quite usable and all, I think the
biggest strength of OSM (apart from its community, of course :) ) is
having an access to the raw (vector) map data and not just image tiles
like Google et al. For a long time I was dreaming about creating a
desktop/mobile application for cyclists and hikers which would utilize
the vector data for suggesting cycling/hiking routes, calculating the
time needed and so on. The map area would not necessarily be a large one.

The problem is fetching the data - the only viable option I see is using
OSMXAPI, but its server is overwhelmed and will limit the download size
in the future (from what I read on this list). Using planet dumps seems
to me a bit too unfriendly from the end-user perspective - they would
have to download quite a large quantity of data.

I have the similar problem with providing map data to users of Kosmos.
Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Igor