[OSM-talk] Actually using OpenStreetMap and the usabilityof thecurrent maps

Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) ajrlists at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 28 23:38:21 BST 2008

Juan Lucas Dominguez Rubio wrote:
>Sent: 28 July 2008 5:29 PM
>To: inge at lysator.liu.se; talk at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Actually using OpenStreetMap and the usabilityof
>thecurrent maps
>
>Hello, Inge. The maps shown at http://www.openstreetmap.org
><http://www.openstreetmap.org/>  cannot be taken seriously. They have
>mistakes (religious symbols out of place), absurd rendering criteria (large
>pint glasses) and traces of mathematical mediocrity (watch the scale bar in
>any Scandinavian city : it's simply wrong). It's sad to see those things
>are not corrected, because it would take a little effort. But somehow,
>nobody cares.

That's being wholly unfair to those that have spent many hours burning the
midnight oil toiling over lines of XML to bring us what we have for nothing
more than the gratification of seeing an Icon where they earlier in the day
mapped a post box. Because after all, that's what OSM is all about. It may
be sad to see some things don't get fixed and I can assure you I have plenty
on my list, but I can certainly never say to anyone contributing their
effort to OSM that nobody cares, on the contrary we care one hell of a lot,
otherwise we simply wouldn't be here.

Cheers

Andy