[OSM-talk] House numbers... One more suggestion

Charlie Echo openstreetmap at coutiere.com
Mon Jul 28 23:20:28 BST 2008

>Hi,
>> If things are clear, and if there is a consensus about using this Karlsruhe schema, let's have a vote on it.
>> This will make things easier: we would then have a clean situation. This would enable people to enter the data.

>I don't think you have fully understood what I was saying. The Karlsruhe
>schema is being used, and people are already enabled to enter the data.

Yes, I did understand.
I even think I'll try to use it in an area of Paris to see if it's usable, and if it doesn't take too long to enter data.

When I wrote "enable people to enter the data", I meant "in an efficient manner": people would know their data will be used and would be glad to enter them. For the time being, I rather consider the "Karlsruhe details" as a way to set-up a de facto standard. I would like to have it approved...

Just imagine what would happen if the Karlsruhe schema is declared unefficient, and must be disregarded (for some reason, such as the ones explained by Karl). All the data would be lost, or would require huge processing for conversion into a new schema.