[OSM-talk] Milestone

Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) ajrlists at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 29 00:01:13 BST 2008

Steve, you and everyone else whose worked hard on the cartography aspects of
the Mapnik layer deserve a big pat on the back. But your note clearly
demonstrates that we really should not have the Mapnik stylesheet maintained
and managed by one or two people. The other thread on the list about the map
view further reinforces this.

I'm really wondering if it wouldn't be a good time to get a separate project
kicked off that's separate from OSM core. One that is specifically aimed at
developing methods of layering and filtering the OSM data to produce
customisable maps. It's clear there are loads of people that want to put
their oar in on it and maybe taking it out of a core OSM function might free
up ideas and development. Obviously new and cool ideas can get incorporated
back at OSM render central but at least having cartography development
outside of central control would stir up the pot and take some of the heat
out of the issue within OSM itself.

I assume the big problem doing this is getting suitable bandwidth for a tile
server? That's something we could probably put the feelers out on if there
was enough interested individuals to kick it all off. Would a dev box set up
to do this make a difference for instance?

Andy A has done all this with a few others for the cycle map, why not enable
a bigger group to do the same generally with support from OSM to make it
happen.

Views?

Cheers

Andy