[OSM-talk] Milestone

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 28 23:11:54 BST 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 18:47 +0100, Steve Chilton wrote:
> Just noticed that this weekend it is exactly a year since I submitted my first mapnik style patch.
> In the following 12 months I have submitted a total of 45 patches with multiple additions/changes (nearly 1 per week).
> In that time the style file (XML) has moved from 1641 lines to 5220 lines.

I do appreciate the effort you put into the styles. I personally think
the maps look really amazing. In many places they are better than
commercially available maps.

>From Wednesday this week we should also start seeing the result of a
couple of other fixes implemented this week:-

I just fixed a bug in the core Mapnik code which was causing of some of
the mountain peaks to be missing text labels. If you refresh your
browser at[1] you should see most/all of the peaks now appear with
names. The bug caused many POI names not containing a space to be
absent.

The removal of the route names which started appearing on the map a
couple of weeks ago[2][3]. This error was caused when extra support was
added for route relations needed by the cycle map etc.

Improved multipolygon support. For several months there have been
complaints that Mapnik has not been following the new tagging rules for
multipolygon relations[4]. I've added code to handle the obvious tag
combinations in osm2pgsql and this seems to work in the examples I've
tested[5][6].

	Jon

[1] http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=54.5761&lon=-3.234&zoom=13&layers=B00FTF
[2] http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2008-July/027991.html