[OSM-talk] Split into "map" and "data" projects

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Tue Jul 29 09:21:02 BST 2008

<!&!AAAAAAAAAAAuAAAAAAAAAOKaD4mR3JBOrEpRon92nMgBANp/H2q5kHFIvKMsnZiQaZAAAAABxJAAABAAAABkOxoUix39RJfSoKIwW+bLAQAAAAA=@googlemail.com> <488EC41B.3080507 at loenwind.info>

Hi,

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 09:17:47 +0200, Henry Loenwind <henry at loenwind.info>

wrote:

> That sums it up rather nicely. OSM is only about collecting data, people

> that are interested in using the data are not really welcome very much.

> So I propose to start a new project, that is about using OSM data only.

> Transfer the current renderers and maps to the new project, and maybe it

> would be possible there to et up a server farm, so people interested in

> different rendering styles can concentrate on the rendering styles and

> not on the problem of serving them.

> Anyone interested? That new project would first need people that have

> time to organize it (I really don't have), and people to raise or

> provide funding.

What a lot of effort! Why bother?

I don't understand why we can't just establish a few wiki pages and a new

mailing list for people interested in end-uses of data. Make a few clear

splits in wikis, lists, the front page etc. for people interested in

gathering and using data. There's definitely a need for more collaboration

and code-sharing on the OpenLayers/stylesheet front, it's all a bit of a

confusing mess at the moment.

I'd be happy to get stuck into both discussions, having mapped large chunks

of Reading, St Albans, Peckham and Sutton... and having set-up a map based

on OSM data (http://map.oneplanetsutton.org).

Kind regards,

Tom