[OSM-talk] Actually using OpenStreetMap and the usability of the current maps

Erik Johansson erjohan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 14:20:57 BST 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 11:44 AM, Inge Wallin <inge at lysator.liu.se> wrote:
>  * Names!  There are far too few names on the map, especially on low zoom
> levels. It's difficult to get a feeling for where you are and orient yourself
> on the map if you cannot find names on the map. The commercial maps show lots
> and lots of names, and that is a good thing. We should make names appear on
> the maps earlier.

Can mapnik automatically render names for smaller towns in lower zoom
levels if there is room for the labels?  Or should we have a
"mapnik_zoom_level=6" tag? This is a problem for the country side were
you have lots of room to render names, but not that many big names to
render. (Especially Sweden[1])

I could only find one ticket related to this:
http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/696

[1]
Germany 230 hab/km^2
Sweden 21hab/km^2, but a large part of the country side is more in the
6-10 hab/km^2 range..
Maybe why people buy vacation houses here.