[OSM-talk] Actually using OpenStreetMap and the usability of the current maps

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Tue Jul 29 15:09:36 BST 2008

In message <ed0398d40807290620x1185b618j343359ea2cec6104 at mail.gmail.com>
        Erik Johansson <erjohan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 11:44 AM, Inge Wallin <inge at lysator.liu.se> wrote:
>>  * Names!  There are far too few names on the map, especially on low zoom
>> levels. It's difficult to get a feeling for where you are and orient yourself
>> on the map if you cannot find names on the map. The commercial maps show lots
>> and lots of names, and that is a good thing. We should make names appear on
>> the maps earlier.
>
> Can mapnik automatically render names for smaller towns in lower zoom
> levels if there is room for the labels?  Or should we have a
> "mapnik_zoom_level=6" tag? This is a problem for the country side were
> you have lots of room to render names, but not that many big names to
> render. (Especially Sweden[1])

Tagging for rendered == Evil!

Mapnik will render whatever it is told to, and will drop things if
there isn't enough room.

Currently our rules are not very good about the order in which they
render things, which means that the wrongs things can get dropped. That
should probably fixed before we start rendering more things at low
zoom levels.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)