[OSM-talk] A Swedish national server for OSM

Jason Reid osm at bowvalleytechnologies.com
Tue Jul 29 20:18:35 BST 2008

Inge Wallin wrote:
> In the rather large thread "Actually using OpenStreetMap and the usability of
> the current maps" I got to understand a few things that I didn't grasp
> before.
>
> So to make a long story short, I have decided to check the viability of
> setting up a Swedish tile server + slippy map and some other services. To do
> that I am applying for some money from the Swedish Internet Society that has
> grants for such things.
>
> But to be able to write the application, I need to understand the size of the
> task.  Things like:
>  - How long does it take to render a typical tile set? Will a single machine
> be able to render all the tiles for Sweden, for instance? What's the size of
> the current render farm for the mapnik map on openstreetmap.org?
>
>  - How much bandwidth will it use?
>
>  - How difficult is it to set up a working server? I'm fairly skilled in
> deployment, but I have never worked with mapnik, nor osmarender or
> slippymaps.
>
> I am aware that the questions are fuzzy, but all data will be much
> appriciated.
>
> 	-Inge

Overall it isn't too difficult to setup. Hardest part is just getting
everything installed and working together (as there are a number of
dependencies), but overall if you follow the instructions that are out
there its not too bad.

I've got a partial setup running on openstreetmap.ca (that isn't public
yet), but to answer the other questions it should serve as a baseline.
The system behind that site is an Opteron 246 with a couple gb of ram,
and can re-render all of Canada through Mapnik in under a day. Sweden
shouldn't be anywhere near that long. Overall the slowest part of the
setup is getting the data into postgres to start with. Bandwidth is the
only number that is really unknown, as its going to fluctuate greatly.

-Jason Reid