[OSM-talk] A Swedish national server for OSM

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 29 20:57:31 BST 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 20:57 +0200, Inge Wallin wrote:
> In the rather large thread "Actually using OpenStreetMap and the usability of
> the current maps" I got to understand a few things that I didn't grasp
> before.
>
> So to make a long story short, I have decided to check the viability of
> setting up a Swedish tile server + slippy map and some other services. To do
> that I am applying for some money from the Swedish Internet Society that has
> grants for such things.
>
> But to be able to write the application, I need to understand the size of the
> task.  Things like:
>  - How long does it take to render a typical tile set?

If you take a look at the munin graphs you'll see that the Mapnik server
spends roughly 5 day of the week re-rendering all the existing tiles[1].
This is re-rendering every tile that has ever been requested each week
which is overkill. A render on demand strategy would cut the CPU but
increase the latency for map users.

>  Will a single machine
> be able to render all the tiles for Sweden, for instance? What's the size of
> the current render farm for the mapnik map on openstreetmap.org?

Yes. The current 'render farm' is one machine. It is a 2 x dual core
machine with 12GB of ram[2]. A less powerful machine should be able to
easily cope with rendering the tiles for a small area.

>  - How much bandwidth will it use?

The main Mapnik server often pushes data at 10-20Mbps range so you
should probably expect something in the order of 1Mbps but this
obviously depends greatly on how successful you are at attracting users.

>  - How difficult is it to set up a working server? I'm fairly skilled in
> deployment, but I have never worked with mapnik, nor osmarender or
> slippymaps.

Deploying the slippy map is quite easy. Getting the Mapnik compiled and
rendering tiles is fairly tricky but there are several people that have
been through the process and can probably help you provided you use a
modern Linux distro. I don't know anything about deploying Osmarender.

> I am aware that the questions are fuzzy, but all data will be much
> appriciated.

	Jon

[1] http://munin.openstreetmap.org/openstreetmap/tile.openstreetmap-cpu.html
[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Servers/tileserv