[OSM-talk] Quality assurance strategy?

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Thu Jul 31 14:52:16 BST 2008

On 31/07/2008 14:17, Jukka Rahkonen wrote:
> Frederik Ramm <frederik <at> remote.org> writes:
>
>> What you're speaking of is a huge amount of work if one wants to do
>> it properly. I have no doubts that we'll manage to map the world
>> once, but will we be able to map it again every 5 years, essentially,
>> to verify? I don't know.

I've seen a much greater willingness to keep things up to date than to
generate new data in the first place. Now that we have a "complete" area
for Cambridge and environs, I've noticed that changes to detail I become
aware of have most often already been made: two pubs/hotels have changed
name, for example, and when I came to fix those, they'd already been done.

In rural areas, this might be trickier, as the density of people to
notice a change is lower.

BTW, a big change that is sweeping the UK this year is the closure of
about a quarter of the nation's post offices. Lists will be published,
and we should make sure we deal with these.

David