[OSM-talk] Quality assurance strategy?

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 31 15:41:31 BST 2008

My tool of how complete an area is (
http://www.livingwithdragons.com/2008/07/just-how-mapped-is-it) saves the
date/time someone reports the quality.
I always had in mind later expanding that to show how long a go the QA of an
area was given, and then for quality to be re-reported at later dates.

After some feedback on the tool I want to spend more time on it before
making it public. Hopefully these will develop into a strong QA system.

I think the data layer on the map is useful as you can quickly see the
history and who made changes. There are a few usernames that I trust more.
Although that frame of mind can be biased and involves knowing about users
(real life changes happen on everyones patch too), it is something to
consider.

2008/7/31 David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com>

> On 31/07/2008 14:17, Jukka Rahkonen wrote:
> > Frederik Ramm <frederik <at> remote.org> writes:
> >
> >> What you're speaking of is a huge amount of work if one wants to do
> >> it properly. I have no doubts that we'll manage to map the world
> >> once, but will we be able to map it again every 5 years, essentially,
> >> to verify? I don't know.
>
> I've seen a much greater willingness to keep things up to date than to
> generate new data in the first place. Now that we have a "complete" area
> for Cambridge and environs, I've noticed that changes to detail I become
> aware of have most often already been made: two pubs/hotels have changed
> name, for example, and when I came to fix those, they'd already been done.
>
> In rural areas, this might be trickier, as the density of people to
> notice a change is lower.
>
> BTW, a big change that is sweeping the UK this year is the closure of
> about a quarter of the nation's post offices. Lists will be published,
> and we should make sure we deal with these.
>
> David

Gregory
nomoregrapes at gmail.com
http://www.livingwithdragons.com