[OSM-talk] Potlatch localisation

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Thu Jun 5 07:59:25 BST 2008

Richard,

On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 12:43:46AM +0100, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> I'd like to offer Potlatch in native languages - so a German-speaking
> user gets the prompts and tooltips in German, a French user in French,
> and so on. It would be a good thing to have at any point, but
> especially considering the current influx of German speakers.
>
> I'm very happy to do the coding, but can't manage the languages (apart
> from Medieval Welsh and some very bad French). So offers of
> translation would be gratefully accepted.
>
> There's a trac ticket at
> http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/955
>
> and I can supply the relevant text on request.

If there is a gettext .po file or similar in subversion somewhere I could
imagine people would contribute translations.

On a related note: I created the current openstreetmap.de website which
lacks edit support. Does it make sense to integrate Potlatch into that
web page? Would it be hard to do? On the one hand I would like to make
it as easy and seemless as possible for German users. On the other hand
I don't want duplication of effort and multiple similar but different
web pages doing essentially the same thing.

Jochen