[OSM-talk] highway=turning_circle

Jonathan Bennett openstreetmap at jonno.cix.co.uk
Tue Jun 17 15:09:33 BST 2008

Inge Wallin wrote:
> I'd like to be able to show these three different turning facilities (the
> first one isn't a circle) on the map.  One way would be to add a size tag:
>
> highway=turning_circle
> size=small | medium | large
>
> with small or medium being the default.   What do you think?

I originally proposed (or rather, started using, then proposed) the
turning_circle tag. Looking back at what I wrote then I didn't make
explicit what was at the back of my mind: you could use the width= tag
to specify just how big the turning circle is. Word-based descriptions
are ambiguous, and could mean different things depending on the type of
road the turning circle is in.

As for turning bays, I usually map these as a short stub of highway,
like here:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=51.238122&mlon=-0.588515&zoom=18&layers=B00FT

--
Jonathan (Jonobennett)