[OSM-talk] Walking routes and OSM (again)

Robert Vollmert rvollmert-lists at gmx.net
Sat Jun 28 08:52:35 BST 2008

On Jun 27, 2008, at 16:55, simon at mungewell.org wrote:

>>> a) Get the user to click each way in turn on the slippy map. Each
>>> way
>>> then
>>> gets highlighted (possible via OpenLayers Vector layer). When
>>> finished,
>>> user clicks "Done" and can add any further comments. This should be
>>> fairly
>>> easy to implement - and some of the code (detecting the closest
>>> way to a
>>> mouse click) has already been implemented, both client and server
>>> side.
>>
>> I prefer this approach. My only concern is that when making relations
>> and routes, often one needs to split a way. Is there any good UI for
>> doing this for someone who doesn't know OSM?
>>

> There is no reason as to why the overlay couldn't automatically
> split the
> way on it's own vector overlay and then when the route is confirmed
> that
> the split be transfered to OSM along with the relation information.

An alternative would be to specify a part of a way by starting and end
node (a "subway", compare http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Relations/Proposed/Segmented_Tag)
. If the routes are to be stored in OSM as relations, this wouldn't be
a such good idea, but assuming you're storing them externally and
didn't want to write to the OSM database, it's an option.

Cheers
Robert