[OSM-talk] Access restrictions (was: Feature Proposal - RFC - (PSV_directions))

Charlie Echo openstreetmap at coutiere.com
Mon Jun 30 10:22:44 BST 2008

>From what I understand:
- each country has its own rules for vehicle definitions and access definition: roads accessible for Cars, Taxis, PSV, Bus, Goods, Bicycles, ...
- in each country, there is a limited number of "common rules": in France, Bus lanes can be used by Taxis an Bicycles.
- most Ways are Oneways. If comparing length, it's probably not the case, but by number of ways, it IS probably the case.

It will be very had to set-up a tagging scheme for all cases. But in each country, it could be possible to set-up basic rules, with basic names that would then be applied to all Roads.
To put it another way: as long as we don't have a common Driving Licence, we won't easily have common Rules.

So I suggest that the Access tag would be defined on a Country basis.
1. define the types of vehicles
Car = 4 wheel vehicle below 2 tons (?)
Bicycle = ...
Bus = ...

2. Define the type of Access
Bus lane = Bus + Bicyle + Taxi

3. Define the Acces on Ways.
direct_way:all/car/bus/bicycle/...  (the values being the ones defined in 2.)
opposite_way:SAME/all/car/bus/...  (same values, with additional SAME)

With this kind of definitions, someone would know directly if he is sitting in a Car, a Bus or a PSV; and a driving software would automatically be able to define the accesible ways.