[OSM-talk] [OSM-dev] Online/offline slippy map finished.

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Fri May 9 17:22:23 BST 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-09 at 15:54 +0200, Sebastian Spaeth wrote:
> Andy Allan wrote:
> > I'll need to check this out - I've found it frustrating trying to demo
> > the map even if I'm carrying my laptop around. On the vague chance
> > that there's wireless available, all I get is "ooh, that's really
> > slow" when it's the crappy wireless that's the problem :-) Simple
> > local caching sounds good.
>
> Last public post on this toy, I promise.
> Some people thought it might be useful so it's here now:
> http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/viewer/pymap
>
> I haven't tested how well it performs (Simplicity was the first goal),
> but it will certainly be better than a crappy wlan. It would also be
> trivial to make it update old local tiles on demand.
>
> I agree that this would be ideal to showcase OSM maps e.g. at
> conferences where WLAN is existent but horrible.

If you want a tool to visualize GPX files and overlay with a variety of
map layers (including mapnik, osmarender or SRTM) then you could try
viking. You can choose what tiles to download or ask it to download all
tiles for a GPX trace. The tiles will be cached between sessions. It
uses GTK-2 and runs on at least Linux and Windows.

http://viking.sourceforge.net
http://sourceforge.net/projects/viking/

I have not played with it much but I tried the SVN version and it worked
for me.

	Jon