[OSM-talk] Tagging bridleways

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Tue May 13 10:30:41 BST 2008

On Tue, 13 May 2008, Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) wrote:

> This is an example of confusing the physical space with the legal
> administrative description.

Yes, but sadly the highway tag is defined in Map Features to encompass
that confusing mixture of physical and legal descriptions. :)

(It is something we should probably try to move away from, but that's
another discussion).

> Just because it's a bridleway does not necessarily mean car=no.

The wiki indicates that OSM considers highway=bridleway to be a footpath
which horses are permitted on (I would think highway=footway, horse=yes
would be better and am in favour of getting rid of highway=bridleway
entirely.  However, I also want to be consistent with what other people
are doing.)

> The landowner will almost certainly have access over the route. Since
> it's a bridleway however the public probably do not (unless its
> permissive).

In this case, I imagine the highway belongs to the National Grid, since it
provides access to the Swansea North substation and some of their offices.
However, at the west end of the highway there is no "private", "no cars",
etc signs, just a "No through road" sign (which makes sense since there is
a gate at the other end... probably to prevent people rat-running).  Also,
there are currently some roadworks on the highway, which are signed as you
would expect them to be if they were on a public road (the normal
red-triangle "roadworks" and blue-circle-with-white-arrow "keep right"
signs).

  - Steve