[OSM-talk] OSM support in KDE's Marble

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Wed May 21 16:18:15 BST 2008

In message <200805211703.22579.inge at lysator.liu.se>
        Inge Wallin <inge at lysator.liu.se> wrote:

> On Wednesday 21 May 2008 16:29:12 Matt Williams wrote:
>
>> On behalf of Torsten Rahn, I'm relaying the latest news about OSM
>> integration into Marble (http://edu.kde.org/marble). I'll let him explain
>> it since he knows it best:
>>
>> "The hero of the current Marble KDE 4.1 Beta1 release is Jens-Michael
>> Hoffmann: He has successfully worked on getting OpenStreetMap integrated
>> into Marble and KDE 4.1!
>>
>> This means that once you start our free software virtual globe and
>> select "OpenStreetMap" as a theme then Marble will directly start to
>> download OpenStreetMap tiles from the OpenStreetMap server"
>>
>> For all the information including screenshots, check out the full article
>> at http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/3475.
>
> As one of the maintainers of Marble and a contributor to OSM, let me add a few
> things:
>
> 1. This example really shows why I dislike web applications.  Marble is much
> much faster in displaying the map, especially when you go back to previously
> visited parts, and zoom in or out.

It is nice. Unfortunately the need to warp the tiles onto the globe
means that there is a significant reduction in quality over the web
based version.

> 2. Marble is fully plugin-based, so anybody who knows some C++, can create a
> simple editor á la potlatch. Overlays using e.g. yahoo images should be
> fairly easy. A real editor more complex, but not overly so. Then, on the
> other hand, maybe already Merkaartor is that...

Well Y! would be hard as you would have to embed a web browser or
something as you can only access the images via Javascript or Flash.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/