[OSM-talk] Potlatch and the evil semicolons

Tue May 27 12:46:46 BST 2008

Dermot McNally wrote:

> 2008/5/27 Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net>:
> [...]
>> But what could work, I think, is putting a little indicator (perhaps
>> an unhappy face, or an alert triangle, or something) in the tag to
>> show that there's an error in it. Probably not quite as authoritarian
>> as Maplint's not-in-map-features, but something to flag up common
>> errors like this - and maybe there are more we should be looking for.
>
> Would this prevent "broken" content from being uploaded? If not, I
> think we'll still have a problem.

That's a difference of approach, really. I don't think it's any
editor's role to _impose_ editing standards on people, and refuse to
upload content that doesn't conform to a certain set of rules. Mapping
standards should be set and enforced by the community - that's why we
have inter-user messaging. The editor should guide but not enforce.

Otherwise you end up with an editor that refuses to upload any tag
which isn't in Map Features, and that wouldn't be a bunch of fun (IMO
obviously - in a community this size, no doubt some would like it).
Anyone who really wants to edit in a certain way can, and will, go
through the API.

I disagree that the merging is "silent": the display changes and so
does the tag value, obviously. Now it could perhaps be made more
obvious, whether through an annotation on the tag or a little modeless
popup or whatever, but that's a whole way short of refusing to upload
stuff someone doesn't like.

Have you contacted the mapper in question? Would be a good first step.

cheers
Richard