[OSM-talk] National borders in the British Islands

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Fri May 30 18:10:49 BST 2008

Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 3:57 PM, Andy Allan <gravitystorm at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yes, for rendering decisions like X >=5. That doesn't imply it's the
>> best approach for storing the data. Don't tag for renderers etc.
>
> It's not tagging for renderers. It's tagging for anything that wishes
> to programmatically extract administration-type data from the OSM
> database.

At last someone who is also not bothered how things are rendered :)

Personally I've been viewing admin_level=0 as the world.
admin_level=1 should equal the continents
admin_level=2 for countries ( UNITED KINGDOM )
admin_level=3 ( or so ) for states/areas ( ENGLAND )

Only niggle with this is 'European Union' - does that class as a continent or
do we add floating point as suggested and have 1.5. Not all countries in
europe are in the European Union, but EU is certainly an administrative area?
So perhaps THAT should be level 2 for Europe with countries at level 3.

I don't think that the level structure was eve actually agreed - and now it's
biting back?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL