[OSM-talk] National borders in the British Islands

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Fri May 30 18:21:59 BST 2008

Lester Caine wrote:

> Personally I've been viewing admin_level=0 as the world.
> admin_level=1 should equal the continents
> admin_level=2 for countries ( UNITED KINGDOM )
> admin_level=3 ( or so ) for states/areas ( ENGLAND )

It seems like level 4 is already used as you describe for level 3.

> Only niggle with this is 'European Union' - does that class as a continent or
> do we add floating point as suggested and have 1.5. Not all countries in
> europe are in the European Union, but EU is certainly an administrative area?
> So perhaps THAT should be level 2 for Europe with countries at level 3.

That doesn't fit at all with the use of level 2 described on the wiki...

> I don't think that the level structure was eve actually agreed - and now it's
> biting back?

I think it was put in place to avoid discussion about what to name the
levels.  In that it has been quite successful.  I think that discussion
would still be underway and no one would be happy, if we'd tried to use
names for the values instead.

-Alex Mauer "hawke"