[OSM-talk] Mapnik rendering of paths + place=locality in general

sylvain letuffe liste at letuffe.org
Wed Nov 5 19:47:22 GMT 2008

> I wish we could have a wiki page that describes tags which are supported by
> at least one of the major renderers (main mapnik, osmarender, cyclemap)
A column in the map feature saying which renderer is using it ?

> generally not rendered
> (path).
osmarender does

> As it is now, I think map features is confusing and often of little help
> when trying to find the "best" way to tag a feature.

My 6 month ago newbie search for that was :
- launch potlatch
- use the few pre-defined keys
- bark on that because too few (or undocumented)
- launch JOSM
- use the more pre-defined keys
- re-bark on that because too much missing and low documentation
- dreamed of a wiki page explaining it, and found it, the "map features" : a
central point, to me, giving "approved tags"
- discovered tagwatch and found it of no use for a mapping process
- now I'm happily fighting with others on the "might be best way" to propose a
solution to common problem by the process of discussing/voting/depracting and
so on
By finding a compromise between not changing too much things, explaining the
defaults of the current model, and avoiding at maximum having duplicate tags
for the same object.

Yeah, I know there are strong oppositions on this list to that way of doing,
some guys that "have the power" by the fact they own the renderer might be
unappy of changes they have to do on their styles and software and I
completly understand them

And yeah, I've been told several time, if your not happy with that, then do it
yourself.

And that's what I'm going to do, but I fear something like a "split", which I
think we should avoid. So we still need a central point of DB structure, and
I don't see for now anything but the "map feature"

The only things I'm not happy with, is the fast addition to this map feature
by guys who thinks this is best to go fast (and happily have had 5 friends's
votes), while a long discussion would have :
- spotted the problems
- let more people now about that new possible evolution

Instead of setting the wall at developper side, and creating a "damned, why is
my brand new feature still not appearing on mapnik ?"
and not comming too much to a developper 's "veto" either, I think discussion,
preferably long, could help improve things

Sylvain Letuffe liste at letuffe.org
qui suis-je : http://slyserv.dyndns.org