[OSM-talk] Mapnik rendering of paths + place=locality in general

Gustav Foseid gustavf at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 19:02:56 GMT 2008

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 3:46 PM, Andy Allan <gravitystorm at gmail.com> wrote:

> > in that case we better find
> > another solution which can tell what tags programs will try to support.
>
> Actually, a page like map features which documented such things would
> be good. But the current craze on the wiki is to ignore reality, run
> some voting stuff to make it look official, and then try to bend
> reality to fit whatever's decided by the wiki-fiddlers.

I wish we could have a wiki page that describes tags which are supported by
at least one of the major renderers (main mapnik, osmarender, cyclemap),
routing software or widely used. Now a number of tags on map features are
very rarely used or even usable (bus_guideway) or generally not rendered
(path).

As it is now, I think map features is confusing and often of little help
when trying to find the "best" way to tag a feature.

 - Gustav