[OSM-talk] Proposed Relations

Ldp ldp at xs4all.nl
Wed Nov 5 23:27:17 GMT 2008

Frederik Ramm wrote:

> True but this only applies as soon as ordering is actually used.

That's why I said it would _become_ invalid. It is not an issue right now.

> Currently everyone has to assume that they get the data back shuffled,
> and whether that shuffling was done by the API (as it is now) or by an
> order-unaware client doesn't make a difference. Of course, as soon as we
> use that new feature, clients will be expected to respect ordering.

How would you detect order-unaware clients uploading such an ordered
relation? There is no capability exchange between client and server, so
you can't know if the client is order-aware. Or would you propose that
any client using API 0.6 is order-aware at the moment of the official
migration to 0.6? Next to the mainstream editors, you'd also still have
the issue of broken clients, scripts, bots.

--
Lennard