[OSM-talk] Proposed Relations

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Nov 5 23:16:29 GMT 2008

Hi,

>> 2. I want relations to become ordered and will try to sneak this into
>> API 0.6; there will be no noticeable change for any API client, just
>> that it so happens that things are returned in the order you put them
>> in, rather than in any order.
>
> There is one noticeable change here to clients: if they download such an
> ordered relation, and upload a newer version, they should have kept the
> ordering intact.
>
> The current unordered relations mean that a client can store it locally
> however it likes, and upload it in a completely different order, and it
> won't make one iota of difference to anyone. That assumption would
> become invalid.

True but this only applies as soon as ordering is actually used.
Currently everyone has to assume that they get the data back shuffled,
and whether that shuffling was done by the API (as it is now) or by an
order-unaware client doesn't make a difference. Of course, as soon as we
use that new feature, clients will be expected to respect ordering.

Bye
Frederik