[OSM-talk] UK Industrial Estate Roads

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sat Nov 8 17:45:20 GMT 2008

Andy Allan wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 11:00 PM, Lester Caine <lester at lsces.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> The purpose of the service road is to service an industrial area - therefore
>> it is not simply unclassified. Unclassified is only appropriate - in my
>> opinion - when the road has no identified other use. Why bother with
>> residential or service if they are all going to be called unclassified?
>
> highway=unclassified is a specific classification, just one with a
> confusing name. It has special meaning in some countries, including
> the UK.
>
> See http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Tag:highway%3Dunclassified
> for more details.

This still does not 'answer the question'.
Which selection should take priority - tag all roads of this type
'unclassified' or tag some bits 'unclassified' outside private property and
some 'service' for those inside private property?
I understand the definition of 'unclassified', and many of the 'residential'
and 'service' roads currently tagged as such ARE 'unclassified'. I would
expect both 'residential' and 'service' roads to have a default status of
unclassified, otherwise they would be tagged 'primary' or 'secondary' since
THAT takes priority over 'residential' and 'service'?
It's a matter of creating some consistency in tagging.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL