[OSM-talk] UK Industrial Estate Roads

Ed Loach ed at loach.me.uk
Sun Nov 9 10:07:56 GMT 2008

Lester wrote:

> This still does not 'answer the question'.
> Which selection should take priority - tag all roads of this
> type
> 'unclassified' or tag some bits 'unclassified' outside private
> property and
> some 'service' for those inside private property?
> I understand the definition of 'unclassified', and many of the
> 'residential'
> and 'service' roads currently tagged as such ARE
> 'unclassified'. I would
> expect both 'residential' and 'service' roads to have a default
> status of
> unclassified, otherwise they would be tagged 'primary' or
> 'secondary' since
> THAT takes priority over 'residential' and 'service'?
> It's a matter of creating some consistency in tagging.

I think there will always be some judgment calls involved when it
comes to classifying roads which don't have signs indicating primary
or secondary. There are country lanes around here I tag as
unclassified as it seems to make sense, even though there may be one
or two residential properties along their length (often with large
drives and plenty of land). Switching from unclassified to
residential for the width of their gates (or property limits if I
can guess them) could make sense, I suppose.

In the case of industrial estates I tend to use unclassified if it
is a through route (or even tertiary if it is a major unclassified
through route) and service otherwise.

Ed