[OSM-talk] open space land

David Carmean dlc at halibut.com
Fri Nov 21 04:15:17 GMT 2008

Open Space implies much less development than a "park", usually.  It's usually
rendered on maps as a lighter color than parks.  I've found some legal definitions
here:

   http://www.sonomatrails.org/docs/cagenpln.htm

The next levels of protected land in the U.S. are "Wilderness" and "Federal Wilderness".

US Federal Wilderness, for example, is designated by Congress, and is not permitted
to have permanent roads, vehicular traffic, etc.

  http://wilderness.nps.gov/faqnew.cfm

I think that map users here generally expect that Open Space and Wilderness areas
will be rendered differently than the more-developed "parks". I would advocate the use
of a couple of new "landuse" values, 'open_space' and 'wilderness'.  I don't know
how this scales when you start considering these kinds of legal and cultural
designations across the entire globe.