[OSM-talk] Rendering barangays for the Philippines

Elena of Valhalla elena.valhalla at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 06:41:43 GMT 2008

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 12:08 AM, Erik Johansson <erjohan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 4:11 PM, David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com> wrote:
>> Better editor (or API) support for different languages is surely a
>> better way to go.
> If everyone here are native english speakers or speaks relatively
> fluently, and they all take the pragmatic route of using UK centric
> tagging how is this ever going to happen?

I am not a native english speaker, but the place for language support
is the editor, not the API, and the editors are already being
translated, so it is already happening

The data however should remain as worldwide consistent as it can and
to do so it must remain in one language only; maybe uk-en isn't the
better choice, but there are plenty of worse one, and surely it is
good enough

> So Please tag as
> place=barangay and create a wiki page with a template or some kind of
> link that says that this is more or less similar to place=village.

if it is almost a village and needs to be rendered like a village, tag
it place=village and write a translation for the main editors and the
main routers that call the preset barangay

> This would help in making it render, on the main map. If this list of
> terms that are translated grow big enough there will be people (me)
> that will be motivated to work on solutions.

if we go with the localized api way, the list of terms to be
translated would grow exponentially: why translate "village" and not
"place"? why keep highway and not the local name? or anything else?

--
Elena of Valhalla

email: elena.valhalla at gmail.com