[OSM-talk] Edit war on the wiki "map features"

Matthias Julius lists at julius-net.net
Tue Nov 25 20:15:03 GMT 2008

sylvain letuffe <liste at letuffe.org> writes:

>> The place for an "approved" tag which is not widely used is Approved
>> features, not Map Features.
>
> That could be a solution. And I think that's where we need to go anyway as the
> map feature page is just too big.
> What you seams to propose here is keep "the good tags well in view" and
> the "bad tags hidden somewhere"
> I would agree with the idea, but what is bad or wrong ?

I would see the Approved Features more like a staging area.  Features
that are "approved" are added there.  Features that really establish
themselves should eventually be added to Map Features.

> Since it's hard to answer, it seams to be "in the air" that a used tag is
> good, and an unused tag is bad. But I don't agree with that.

That would bo too simple.  There are a couple more criteria like:

- is there an alternative way of tagging
- which of the alternatives are used more
- which have been used more recently
- ...

There seem to be a number of people who are really enthusiastic about
tagging schemes.  I would welcome if they would get together to form
the "Tagging Committee" and create their own wiki page with their
recommendation for a concise and consistent tagging scheme for the
world.  If that has its merits it will be adopted by the mappers.

Matthias