[OSM-talk] Proposal for a map-bug tracker (Openstreetbugs)

Simon Ward simon at bleah.co.uk
Sat Nov 29 09:26:24 GMT 2008

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 02:10:28PM +0100, Patrick Kilian wrote:
>                                          I really dislike
> bugzilla and that I was really glad when I found out that OSM uses trac
> for its bugtracking. Unless we find a REALLY compelling reason to switch
> I'd stay with trac.

I’m not a fan of Bugzilla either:  The code base or the interface.

For data, I think OpenStreetBugs works well.  You don’t have to work out
anything, you just click and type.  Maybe an additional field to that to
track the status in more detail is in order, but get much more
complicated and you destroy the simplicity of reporting bugs.  That’s
regardless of what back‐end it actually uses to keep track of bugs.

Possibly the next best thing after code‐reuse of using an existing
bug‐tracker as the backend is that you can easily provide an alternative
(the ones the bug‐tracker lets you use).  If possible to integrate with
Trac, for example, you get <http://trac.openstreetmap.org/report>, any
number of customisable ways to display tickets.  Trac also has the
option to change the workflow since 0.11, which would be useful for
keeping it simple for OpenStreetBugs:

http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracWorkflow

Simon
simple system that works.—John Gall