[OSM-talk] [Tagging] - RFC - Motorway_link implies oneway=??

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Thu Oct 2 11:10:12 BST 2008

Nic Roets wrote:
> Isn't a motorway by definition divided and therefore oneway ?
>
> My opinion is that motorway and motorway_link must both default to
> oneway=true, as the bi-directional varieties are non-existent / very rare.
>
>     I assume that everything is two way (including motorway,
>     motorway_link, trunk and trunk_link) unless there is a
>     oneway=yes/true/1 tag.
>
>         I've been getting reports about routing problems where
>         bi-directional
>         traffic is allowed on motorway_link roads. The map features page
>         does
>         not state clearly which oneway value is implied however: The
>         green box
>         states oneway=yes is implied, the descriptive text implies
>         oneway=no.

(Trim the crap and return to sanity ;) )
The definition in the UK would mean that motorway and motorway_link ARE always
one way and anything that needed to be two way would not be flagged as
'motorway' but no doubt parallels in other countries are not quite so clear cut?
Perhaps the OSM definition of motorway should include the restriction of a
single direction carriageway and move anything else to 'trunk'?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL