[OSM-talk] vandolism on OSM

vegard vegard at engen.priv.no
Fri Oct 3 11:08:05 BST 2008

On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 02:51:01AM -0700, Nicholas Vetrovec wrote:
> Check out this Chicago area totally messed up by user: Mekhyl
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=41.9626&lon=-87.8045&zoom=14&layers=0B00FTF
> What to do about this problem??

Reversing these actual changes, I'm sure someone can dig into.

But we'll need a more permanent measure against vandalism.

Something that'll make it easy to reverse things.

An idea I've had, is to add "revised"-tags to OSM data. Which means that
1) You can choose to check out only the "stable" map, or
2) You can choose the development version. But this isn't at all gonna
be easy, we need to devise a plan to make it as little hassle as
possible to review OSM data and put a quality stamp on it, and to diff
the area between the last "revised" tag and what exists today, see if
the changes looks good, and then just approve it.

And yes: I know - I should sit down and code it :) This *is* a proposal,
and I'm no coder. And I also know that a fair amount of people will
disagree, but unless we put up a way to avoid random vandalism to
pollute "the production" set of data, noone is gonna dare use our data
to anything except small things that can be manually verified.
--
- Vegard Engen, member of the first RFC1149 implementation team.