[OSM-talk] vandolism on OSM

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Oct 3 11:24:32 BST 2008

Hi,

vegard wrote:
> But we'll need a more permanent measure against vandalism.
> Something that'll make it easy to reverse things.

We have some good changes in store with API 0.6.

> An idea I've had, is to add "revised"-tags to OSM data.

Which is what Wikipedia is currently experimenting with.

But note that our most potent weapon against vandalism is the ease and
speed with which it can be undone.

> unless we put up a way to avoid random vandalism to
> pollute "the production" set of data, noone is gonna dare use our data

Every day someone says "noone is going to use our data unless...". I
don't really take that seriously because reality proves them wrong.

If anyone wants to have a strictly quality controlled OSM they can
easily do that and sell it as a paid service. But I believe it is going
to be much more expensive than just buying a set of TeleAtlas data, and
will have all the disadvantages of commercial geodata (errors take long
to get fixed, data is a year old, etc.)

Bye
Frederik