[OSM-talk] POI by coordinates

Gustav Foseid gustavf at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 15:13:22 BST 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 3:43 PM, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net>wrote:

> Is really placing a POI based on knowledge gained from other maps, anywhere
>> near "copying"?
>>

> Entering "knowledge gained from other maps" is copying, yes.

You sure seem very certain about that. I am certain that you are wrong, at
least from a legal (intellectual property rights) perspective.

The information added to OSM, does not exist on the map it is copied from.
Does not sound like copying to me.

Of course, one can, and ideally one should, take a liberal view and say that
> expansionist views of copyright are insane and should be challenged. I'd be
> right with you on that. But the OSM database is not the place to do it, not
> unless you promise to indemnify OSM against the resulting lawsuit.

One should certainly not add information to OSM that is copyrighted,
protected by database rights or otherwise protected. There is a difference
between being careful and paranoid, however.

> cheers
> Richard
> who suspects this should really either be on newbies@ or legal-talk@

legal-talk, probably.