[OSM-talk] Yet another street number scheme

Karl Newman siliconfiend at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 18:26:27 BST 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 9:28 AM, Andy Allan <gravitystorm at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 6:28 AM, Karl Newman <siliconfiend at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Just to reiterate my perspective, the Karlsruhe schema is fine for what
> it
> > is, but it's not sufficient for all uses.
>
> Perhaps not natively, but I don't see why it can't be converted into
> interpolated-on-street during processing? I don't know of any use of
> OSM data that doesn't require *some* level of processing.
>
> On the other hand, putting the information directly on the street
> limits the ability to produce useful things like maps with numbers on
> the building outlines. So I'd say we should go for "numbers on houses"
> (e.g. Karlsruhe scheme), and downgrade using post-processing to
> "numbers on streets" whenever there's such desire / technological
> limitations.
>
> Cheers,
> Andy

That's the problem--the Karlsruhe schema does not lend itself to that sort
of transformation very well. And it requires a stupid amount of
preprocessing if it's going to be used. There is nothing to associate the
node to the street other than MAYBE the name, which is pretty poor for a
relational data model. It could be misspelled or linked to the wrong street
with a similar name or even just the wrong section of the street. Also,
consider the case where a road makes a tight U-turn, and the address node is
placed somewhere in the middle. It's entirely possible (in fact, I can
guarantee it will happen somewhere in the world) that the the node will be
associated with the wrong portion of the street.

Karl