[OSM-talk] Yet another street number scheme

Matt Amos zerebubuth at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 19:47:47 BST 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 6:26 PM, Karl Newman <siliconfiend at gmail.com> wrote:
> There is nothing to associate the
> node to the street other than MAYBE the name, which is pretty poor for a
> relational data model. It could be misspelled or linked to the wrong street
> with a similar name or even just the wrong section of the street.

...or the associatedStreet relation?

> Also,
> consider the case where a road makes a tight U-turn, and the address node is
> placed somewhere in the middle. It's entirely possible (in fact, I can
> guarantee it will happen somewhere in the world) that the the node will be
> associated with the wrong portion of the street.

while this could be a problem, it is also an advantage. i know of many
streets in the UK where the closest way to a house is not the "main"
part of the road and may be a spur or branch (e.g:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.545975&lon=-0.291139&zoom=18&layers=B000FTF
valley gardens) which can then use the roadAccess relation to describe
this. in simpler schemas we would need to have several ways called
"valley gardens" with discontiguous numberings.

bad data is a fact of life. that's why OSM is a wiki: so we can fix it :-)

cheers,

matt