[OSM-talk] pub vs café

paul youlten paul.youlten at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 22:49:47 BST 2008

The UK licencing laws only apply to selling alcohol; so if the cafe or
restaurant is not licenced you can take your own wine (sometimes even
if they do have a licence you can ask them if it is OK to bring your
own bottle of wine) and while they cannot charge you for the drink
they can charge you for "corkage" which covers the use of their
glasses and waiters opening it and pouring it for you.

I think this is called BYOB (bring your own beer) in the USA?

An "Off Licence" is a special licence for a shop that sells alcohol
that is going to be consumed away from the shop (at home or at a
picnic for example). In the USA these shops are called "Liquor stores"
and their regulation varies from state to state.

More on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off-licence#Off-licence
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquor_store

PY