[OSM-talk] pub vs café

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Oct 18 22:31:02 BST 2008

Hi,

paul youlten wrote:
> The difference between pubs and restaurants is a getting a bit
> blurred. But not so much between pubs and cafes.

[interesting details]

> If a cafe or
> restaurant wants to sell alcohol they have to apply for a licence just
> like a pub or a restaurant.

Are there still proper restaurants in the UK without a license? Can you
then bring your own alcoholic beverages and have them served? I read
something about a "corking fee" related to this, but this may well have
been from 20 years ago.

And then - this is probably a US term - what is an "off license"?

Bye
Frederik