[OSM-talk] mapnik and openlayers?

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Wed Oct 22 17:50:16 BST 2008

Lukasz Szybalski wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 10:43 AM, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:
>> Lukasz Szybalski wrote:

>>> We are getting somewhere..
>>> Is there a name for "gogle style URL scheme" in openlayers? (Not TMS
>>> we know now)
>> Why do you care so much? What's wrong with just using our layer definitions?
>> Those use TMS but override the URL generation to generate a URL in the right
>> format.
>>

> Because I need mapnik to render planet then I will use openlayers to
> display it. Openlayers has a wrapper in tw.openlayers (tosca widgets)
> which I can import into my turbogears application which enables me to
> display my custom layer on top of the openstreetmap.org layer all
> using python.

Does that wrapper limit you to only using the core layers provided
by OpenLayers then? You can't load any additional layers?

> So if I can't figure out what url scheme is used to display mapnik
> data, I can't tell if openlayers will display it, and if I don't know
> which part of openlayers displays it I can't check if the wrapper in
> toscawidgets is done for that part, and if its not done then how is it
> all going to work?

Native OpenLayers can only display it if you override the URL generation
function for the layer, which is exactly what our layers do - they
derive from the TMS layer and modify the URL generation to generate
the required format.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)