[OSM-talk] mapnik and openlayers?

Lukasz Szybalski szybalski at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 18:21:30 BST 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 11:50 AM, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:
> Lukasz Szybalski wrote:

>>> Why do you care so much? What's wrong with just using our layer
>>> definitions?
>>> Those use TMS but override the URL generation to generate a URL in the
>>> right
>>> format.
>>>

>> Because I need mapnik to render planet then I will use openlayers to
>> display it. Openlayers has a wrapper in tw.openlayers (tosca widgets)
>> which I can import into my turbogears application which enables me to
>> display my custom layer on top of the openstreetmap.org layer all
>> using python.
>
> Does that wrapper limit you to only using the core layers provided
> by OpenLayers then? You can't load any additional layers?
>
>> So if I can't figure out what url scheme is used to display mapnik
>> data, I can't tell if openlayers will display it, and if I don't know
>> which part of openlayers displays it I can't check if the wrapper in
>> toscawidgets is done for that part, and if its not done then how is it
>> all going to work?
>
> Native OpenLayers can only display it if you override the URL generation
> function for the layer, which is exactly what our layers do - they derive
> from the TMS layer and modify the URL generation to generate
> the required format.

I'm not really sure what you mean in above. I'm not that knowledgeable
yet in technical details of map layers you use at openstreetmap.org.
Right now I just want to display the openstreetmap.org tiles on my map
and be able to zoom in etc....
then....
Here is what I want to achieve but with openstreetmaps.org underneath
it. http://geo.turbogears.org/factbook/

I still can't find an example of openstreet layers that uses google
style URL mapping (aka mapnik style)?

Lucas