[OSM-talk] SEO

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 10:40:29 GMT 2008

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 4:38 PM, Xav <X at nainwak.com> wrote:
> What would be fantastic is urls of this kind :
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/london/
> ...for a lot of medium and big cities.
>
> The reason is to encourage people to use these URLs for their own use on
> their pages. With the current URLs to OSM (with lat and lon),  the
> robots can't know that a URL links to london or berlin or lyon.

Better than that:

http://johnmckerrell.com/map/#t=mobile&lat=51.47935&lon=-0.20205&zf=15

Notice how the title and some of the page content reacts to the
location of the map? If we could do some similar trickery so that the
name of the place shows up in e.g. the title attribute of the page in
the initial html (can be overwritten by js later when panning), then
any permalink to the page will have search-engine friendly geolocation
automatically. Removes the need for separate pages.

Cheers,
Andy