[OSM-talk] Connecting ferry routes to roads?

David Groom reviews at pacific-rim.net
Mon Sep 1 13:21:42 BST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Karran" <dan at karran.net>
To: "osm" <talk at openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 30, 2008 3:29 PM
Subject: [OSM-talk] Connecting ferry routes to roads?

> I fixed up the Isle of Man Steam Packet ferry route so that it goes
> all the way into Douglas harbour in the Isle of Man again. While I was
> at it, I connected it up with the road network so that routing
> programmes could route traffic through it as well. Is this common
> practice, and is there a standard way of linking them in? I've just
> linked the route to a service road which is connected to the rest of
> the road network.

That seems to make sense and is how I have been mapping vehicle ferry
routes.

However I'm not quite sure what to do with ferry routes which are for foot
passengers and available for cyclists, but not for motorcars..
Following the logic above I would  connect the ferry route to the nearest
highway with a footway tag. Although this would allow routing for cyclists
and pedestrians this seems "wrong" to me.

For instnace the high speed poassenger service from Southamption to East
Cowes
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=50.89469&lon=-1.40605&zoom=17&layers=B00FTF
I have not conncted to the highway down the pier, as it would produce short
stubs of footway rendered on the maps which really are just corridors
through buildings, but this means at the moment the ferry route is
unconnected to anything.

David