[OSM-talk] Access restrictions: hazardous material & other details

Norbert Wenzel n_wenzel at gmx.net
Mon Sep 8 18:24:10 BST 2008

Sebastian Hohmann wrote:
> Norbert Wenzel schrieb:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just mapped a street and did not find a proper access tag. The sign
>> can be found in Wikimedia Commons [0]. It says it is forbidden to drive
>> with hazardous material. I don't think I'm the first one to map such
>> streets, since those signs are relatively common, so Is there any
>> solution how to tag such restrictions?
>>

> There is a page that lists all road signs for Germany. They look a bit
> different than yours, but at least those two mean the same.
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/De:Road_Signs
>
> Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a tag for hazardous materials
> yet. A possibility would be:
>
> hazardous=no/yes/.. ?

Thanks for the link to the list. It's a great reference, especially
since the road signs only differ in the style they are drawn between
Austria and Germany.

I used hazmat=no or something like that. I think it's worth an amendment
to the access property, since it's relatively common in Austria and
Bavaria due to the great number of springs, rivers or tunnels.

The list also helped solving my second problem, the motorvehicle=no tag.
It seems that goods are forbidden when motorcars are unless stated
otherwise.

thanks,
Norbert