[OSM-talk] NoName

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Sep 15 00:24:18 BST 2008

Hi,

> In the UK if you pass a speed limit sign it applies until you see
> another

This would make our approach (tagging the speed limit to ways)
unfeasible, because if you are right then a road in the UK does not
*have* a speed limit - the speed limit depends entirely on the route you
take through the road network. For two people travelling down the same
road in the same type of vehicle, different speed limits might legally
apply.

If this were true then we would have to switch to mapping speed limit
*signs* instead of speed limits for roads.

This would in fact be easier for the mapper because speed limit signs
are what he sees - if we ask him to apply a speed limit value to the
length of a road, he'll often be unsure where exactly a speed limit
started and ended...

Bye
Frederik