[OSM-talk] Missing tiles?

Lukasz Szybalski szybalski at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 17:39:49 BST 2008

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 11:24 AM, Joseph Gentle <josephg at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 2:04 AM, Lukasz Szybalski <szybalski at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 10:20 AM, Joseph Gentle <josephg at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm new to the project so if you could give me some shortucts:
>>
>> ok...the whole planet is
>> bbox= (-180, -87.5, 180, 87.5)
>>
>> If I look at the file:
>> http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/rendering/mapnik/generate_tiles.py
>> It has few boundaries in it:
>> # Start with an overview
>> # World
>>  bbox = (-180.0,-90.0, 180.0,90.0)
>>  render_tiles(bbox, mapfile, tile_dir, 0, 5, "World")
>>
>> This means it will render planet from 0-5?
>> then it will render what ever else follows?
>>
>> What is:
>> bbox = (151.0, -34, 151.33, -33.66)
>
> Part of Sydney, Australia.
>
> http://www.maptools.com/UsingLatLon/LatLon.html
>
>> So min=0 and max=17 should be sufficient?
>
> Sufficient for what? This is the detail of zoom level 0:
> http://a.tile.openstreetmap.org/0/0/0.png
> zoom level 5:
> http://a.tile.openstreetmap.org/5/8/14.png  (thats central america)
> and zoom level 17:
> http://a.tile.openstreetmap.org/17/120597/78678.png   (thats some
> streets in Sydney)
>
>> If you guys could add a bbox for each continent that would be great.
>> (You could probobly comment it out if you don't want it by default)
>> but it would be nice to just uncomment it and get it going.
>>

>> What would be a bbox  for:
>
> http://www.google.com.au/search?q=longitude+latitude+of+countries
>
>> What would be estimated size for min0 max 17?
>
> The whole world from 0 - 17 is about 20 billion tiles. If you chop out
> the oceans, the arctic and antarctica you might have ~5 billion tiles
> to render. Zoom google maps all the way out and look at proportional
> sizes of the countries on that map for relative sizes.
>
> If you don't use appropriate storage for the tiles, each tile will
> take up at least 4KB. Unless you're clever 5 billion tiles will take
> at least 20TB to store.

ok That is a little too much considering I can buy 500gb drive for
$70, so storage is max 500, now 50gb I can spare.

What would be a bbox for:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=37.0625,-95.677068&spn=36.231745,92.109375&t=h&z=4

bbox=(37.0625,-95,36.23,92.10)

Is google zoom reasonably close or same as in mapnik? From google it
would seem zoom max 15 should be enough for what I need.

Thanks,
Lucas