[OSM-talk] Missing tiles?

Lukasz Szybalski szybalski at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 17:04:31 BST 2008

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 10:20 AM, Joseph Gentle <josephg at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 12:58 AM, Lukasz Szybalski <szybalski at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If I want to render the whole planet and I want to have a tile for
>> every mile of it, will ./generate_tiles.py work or I have to specify
>> some additional parameters?
>>
>> ./generate_tiles.py planet
>>
>> or
>> ./generate_tiles.py northamerica
>>
>> or?
>
> generate_tiles.py is a python script. Open it in a text editor.
>
> Near the bottom you will see something like this:
>
>    minZoom = 5
>    maxZoom = 17
>    bbox = (151.0, -34, 151.33, -33.66)
>    render_tiles(bbox, mapfile, tile_dir, minZoom, maxZoom, "aus")
>
> This will render everything within the bounding box between minZoom and maxZoom.
> The bounding box is written as  (minlongitude, minlattitude,
> maxlongitude, maxlattitude)
>
> If you really want to render the whole planet for all normal zoom levels, use:
> minZoom = 0
> maxZoom = 17

> bbox = (-180, -87.5, 180, 87.5)

I'm new to the project so if you could give me some shortucts:

ok...the whole planet is
bbox= (-180, -87.5, 180, 87.5)

If I look at the file:
http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/rendering/mapnik/generate_tiles.py
It has few boundaries in it:
# Start with an overview
# World
 bbox = (-180.0,-90.0, 180.0,90.0)
 render_tiles(bbox, mapfile, tile_dir, 0, 5, "World")

This means it will render planet from 0-5?
then it will render what ever else follows?

What is:
bbox = (151.0, -34, 151.33, -33.66)

So min=0 and max=17 should be sufficient?

If you guys could add a bbox for each continent that would be great.
(You could probobly comment it out if you don't want it by default)
but it would be nice to just uncomment it and get it going.

What would be a bbox  for:
   North America =
    South America =
    Antarctica =
    Africa =
    Europe=
    Asia=
    Australia=

What would be estimated size for min0 max 17?
   North America =
    South America =
    Antarctica =
    Africa =