[OSM-talk] Parking aisle as boundary of car park not showing

Joseph Scanlan n7xsd at arrl.net
Thu Sep 25 15:05:03 BST 2008

Greetings,

The argument that we map street center lines and add width= or
est_width= tags to give them an area is persuasive.  Probably because
that's what I already believed.  ;-)  We can also estimate width by
using the highway= or lanes= tags.

Mapping a car park to its edge (sidewalk, curb and gutter, etc.) also
gives us something with an area.  I suppose ways could even be drawn to
show the entries to the car park.

So... applications that use the data (renderers, etc.) should be able to
deal with the case where the street center line is close to, but not
coincident with, the bounds of an area such as a car park.

The applications should also deal with the case where (part of) the
bounds of an area is also a highway or waterway.  Consider the case
where a political boundary is defined by the center of a river.  A
single zero-width way serves as both the river center line and the
political boundary.  We have a similar case where a highway is carefully
designed to follow a political boundary.

It looks like we're back to "map what's on the ground" and our data
consumers will use or ignore it as appropriate.

Joseph Scanlan                               http://www.qsl.net/n7xsd
+1-702-455-3679                               http://n7xsd.dyndns.org
jps at co.clark.nv.us (work)                   (not work) n7xsd at arrl.net

So he went inside there to take on what he found.
But he never escaped them, for who can escape what he desires?
                                               --Tony Banks of Genesis
                                                    in "The Lady Lies"