[OSM-talk] YOURS now supports route using only cycleroutes -Update

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Sun Sep 28 19:34:17 BST 2008

Given that we now have two web interfaces for routing and two routing
engines would it make sense to try to standardise the interface? I know
standards can be a pain, but so can a load of custom interfaces. Is anything
like this being done?

I believe that OpenRouteService uses an OGC standard for their interface. Is
this what you use? If not is it too big, heavy and slow, or is it just not
suitable or what?

If it is usable then possibly you could put a wrapper around the routing
engine you are using so that you can use the same interface as ORS. If you
did that then you could possibly let people choose the routing engine they
prefer and then possibly someone else might come out with a better routing
engine with the same API and it would also be getting very interesting :)

Anyway, thanks for what you have been doing. I am listening and
experimenting. I have been tweeking the tagging in my home town each week to
improve the routing using YOURS. It is still coming up with some weird
routes that I can explain and I will report them to you if I become sure it
isn't my fault. The details at the bottom of the page that report the
dataset version is very useful. An RSS feed to this would be handy, as would
more frequent updates if you can manage it. I find the weekly cycle of
testing, changing, waiting means that problems take some time to get sorted.
Mind you it is the same with Mapnik and the Cycle mapping.

Regards,

Peter